Sunday, January 21, 2007

Forget the veil, check out that hat!

Posted by Picasa
My friend Millie's cat Sam, he who doesn't play well with others, but who does blend beautifully with my friend's decore, don't you think?
Sam's person, Millie and I went and saw the movie "The Painted Veil" this afternoon. My mom had recommended the film, highly, so the one hour trip to the Landmark theater was in order.
Now my mom doesn't always enjoy all the movies that I like, but I like all the movies she likes.
So I've got the best of the deal.
"The Painted Veil" is a wonderful movie.
It would be a wonderful movie even if the sound was turn off, because the photography is so luscious, and the costuming from the 1920's was just grand.
Best of all...
HATS!
Lots of Hats!
Lots of Panama Straw Hats on both men and women!
Sigh.
No milliner is listed in the credits.
What is up with that?
Twice there are hats left behind after the hat is blown off the wearer's heads.
Granted the person wearing the hat was in terrible danger at the time, but it was all I could do not to yell out
"SOMEBODY GET THE HAT...BE CAREFUL, DON'T RUN OVER THE HAT!"
Anyway, it rates right up there with the movie "Bagger Vance" for fabulous 1920's era inspirational millinery.
Apparently there was an earlier version of "The Painted Veil" back in 1934 with Greta Garbo.
Wonder if there were great hats in that edition?
Guess who is going to try to find a copy and watch it to find out?
Ah, gee, you guessed!
(And whew, I'm pooped. Way to much excitement in one weekend for me!)

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ohhhhhhhhh yummy! Thanks for the tip. I never saw Bagger Vance either so will hunt both of these down to see. Just LOVE the 20s hats and shoes. I also recently learned that there are two more seasons of The House of Eliot available on dvd too. There goes my budget! K Q:-)

Marie said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Jill! You always know what kinds of movies we need to see. I loved Bagger Vance for the hats also! Wished I had a stop and print function on my television. Will definitely go to see The Painted Veil, too.