Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Red and Green: Not Sure, and the other tree

It's red and the azalea bush is green...so it counts.

I think the red is part of a Virginia Creeper vine, but don't quote me.
I got my second little tree up this weekend. It's in our bedroom's bay window, and I feel oh-so-cozy in bed with the lights glowing.

I've just put a smattering of our family ornaments on it. I have a large collection of hand made and story ornaments that are mostly unbreakable/baby proof.

Story ornaments are ornaments I've acquired on trips or to note some event.

Some year I'd like to photograph each ornament and write the "why' behind it. Then I'd have it made into a book, ornament on one page, story on the next.

If I don't do that, then some day no one will know that the little sheriff's badge was a tiny prize that we won on our honeymoon in Big Bear CA.

Or that the felt skates were made by Chris Stewart.

I needle pointed two Eskimos while my husband surfed. The kits were something like 75% off, and so cute I couldn't resist. Daughter Laura had them to amuse her on her swing during her first Christmas.
Posted by Picasa The flag was created by me using three different ribbons, jingle bells and a gold pipe cleaner stem. It was one of my yearly hand made ornament gifts for my friends. One year I made over thirty ornaments, this while caring for my two babies under the age of two!

I made three of each handmade ornament for us; one for our tree and two I put away until the kids had homes of their own.

Turns out Jeff likes gold and red ornaments. USC colors, and he just likes those colors anyway. He was the one who encouraged us to have a gold, silver and crystal tree.

He also like white lights. He is fulfilling one of my dreams of seeing multicolored outdoor lights reflecting on snow; he put up multicolor lights in his new back yard just for me. Everywhere else....white lights.

Daughter Laura collects mermaid ornaments. She is our red haired waterbaby, who surfs. swims, played H2O polo, and life guarded. The Little Mermaid type. Her tree is really cool too.

I imagine that *someday* I will have grandchildren and we will be putting up all the family ornaments with multi-colored lights. Little kids should always have multi-colored lights.

They say everything comes back in style eventually. Maybe by then having hand made ornaments on the tree will be "in" all over again!

Meanwhile, I feel like a kid again, snuggling in my bed with my multi-colored lights and unbreakable ornaments glowing across the room, breathing and dreaming surrounded by the marvelous scent of Christmas tree.

No comments: