Friday, September 05, 2014

When rainbows come...

I have learned that if I hear rain and see sunlight at the same time in the afternoon I should grab my camera and step outside immediately.
I look to the east and the later it is in the day the lower the rainbow will be.
A double rainbow, with the darker sky between the bows is an extra, extra special treat!

I stood in the middle of the street for this shot; I'd say it was the "best" shot as both bows are complete AND one can see the hillside behind the rainbow end.
I shot these using my cell phone as it could capture the entire bow.
My regular camera couldn't frame it fully without me running way far away.
I shot with both my cell phone and my regular camera to capture the rainbow in different ways without changing lenses in the rain on my big camera.
How many rainbow pictures are enough?
I tend to keep clicking until the bow fades away completely.
Maybe this shot was the best one after all?
Here's the photos taken with my regular camera. 
 Yes there is a difference.
I could capture the rainbow's end exploding in the neighbor's  trees.

 Each color band stands out.
 The bow brushed the mountain top.




 No I  didn't  add color but I did darken the shot slightly.


I have never seen a bow so low to the ground before.
The bow was almost flat; I was shooting at 6:40ish pm.
The lower the sun is in the sky, the lower the rainbow sits too.
I wonder just how low a rainbow can go?
Someday I hope to see a rainbow created at the last moments of a sunset.

6 comments:

ellen b. said...

Wow and wow. Amazing and beautiful!

Vee said...

I have never been able to capture a rainbow...beautiful shots!

Say, it appears that your gmail account has been hacked. I am not opening unless you tell me otherwise. =D

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Vee...thanks for the tip! I have changed my passwords. Some jerk in KS hacked it!

Rosella said...

WOW - those shots are amazing! I love how the double rainbow is a mirror image of the bottom one.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It is not easy to really capture a rainbow, these are wonderful. And you live in a place where there are likely to be more before too long. The most beautiful rainbow I ever saw was a double one, reflected in the harbor outside our office building in Long Beach, so it was two full circles! I wished I had a camera that day . . . but I did not.

Tammy Compton Hauge said...

That day, I was on my way to the library and saw the rainbow as I drove along. It was about the brightest one I've ever seen. I parked at Macy's to take some lousy pictures with my lousy cell phone, and was wishing I had my camera with me, and was wishing I were somewhere more picturesque than the parking lot. I'm glad you were there to capture the beautiful sight.