Wednesday, March 10, 2010

1049

1049: That is the number of blog posts I have written and published since I began blogging.

And this is the first time I really can't think of a thing to say.

I haven't seen anything particularly worthy of a picture lately.
All my projects are at a mid point; too soon to share about them.
Nothing really profound is happening in the news.

(Hmmm....what oh what can such a lull in blogging material mean?)

I did have a conversation with my BGF Gail last night. She lives in Denver; we catch up with each other about once a week on the phone.

We compared notes on our lives at the moment. Both of us know a lot of people with lots of physically difficult situations going on. We know people who are being challenged with economic situations.

But the two of us? Right now? Not much is going on.
That's a switch. We hardly know what to make of it.

We agreed to just enjoy the moment. Life has a way of dishing up new "interesting" situations without any help on our part. A tad bit of boredom?

We'll take it!

Just how mundane is life right now?

Her son in medical school called to tell her his exciting news: He just figured out that he could hang two shirts on one hanger, and two jackets on another hanger and that would mean that he only needed two hangers instead of four.

Needless to say this information nearly struck her speechless. He is very busy with his studies, in his second year of medical school, training to be an orthopedic surgeon and he doesn't call home very often.

And this was his amazing bit of news that warranted a phone call?

She recovered from her shock and managed to ask why he suddenly wanted to have only two hangers instead of four anyway.

Oh..that was simple. He was packing to fly from Colorado to New Jersey for his first surgical conference.

The travel plans and conference were news to her. She of course is proud and pleased that he is going to such an event.

But being one of the best mothers that I know, she managed to be happy with him about the fact that he will be able to go and take only two hangers instead of four in his suitcase.

It is good to know he is still such a down to earth kind of guy who continues to find joy in simple pleasures.

We agreed: Being happy about simple things, and even mundane things is a enviable way to live.

So I'm sharing the simple thing that made a future doctor and his mother happy with you on this, my 1049th blog post, so perhaps it will make you happy too.

7 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

congratulations on 1049! that would
certainly send any thoughts out of my
head.

pretty funny about the hangars. the
crazy things they do and think of.

i loved your comment on "my letters"
about depression, because one of my
children struggles with that.

a good friend was sharing that after
losing her husband a year ago, she
just realized she was drowning in
grief.

so she simply said, "grief, you have no
more power of me." and that was that.

amazing.

Anonymous said...

Since you are short any new subjects to hit 1050, I'll stop by and ask Hannah Dustin what she would have you write. Maybe a thought to your readers or a reflective prose. I'm sure she would give a hearty endorsement to myletterstoemily's friend about the power of the mind and it's ability to overcome deep emotions such as grief. Hannah certainly experienced similar loss's in her life and pulled herself back to life. Let's count times of quiet and dullness as a blessing
Mr. B

Vicki said...

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. B's sentiments: Those quiet, seemingly dull moments, are indeed a blessing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mr. B, although we would like to see more of the cats.~ Cessa and Hensley

Willow said...

The Chinese have a curse that states, "May you live in interesting times" and the other part of it says, "May you get what you want."

For your 1050th post? How about a gratitude list?

Lovella ♥ said...

I agree with B. .it is a blessing to have times of dullness and quiet. .I myself was just scratching my head in dullness thinking my post for tomorrow is not hardly with the publish button . .and yet. .it will go up.
I had thought I was coming to see something about earthquakes. .but that post must have gotten nixed. . to doom and gloom?

Anneliese said...

I can't believe you've posted over 1000 entries! One at a time... that's how we get things done, right? Reminds me of how someone said they write a book... one page at a time. Imagine your book. Even for not having anything to say, you make it interesting.