Sunday, November 18, 2007

Out and about, just doin' my Saturday thing....

Want to come along?

I saw these in the seasoning section of the grocery store.
I wonder if "dry" counties can sell these things?
Anyone out there ever used them in a recipe?
I guess they would be a great idea for backpackers who want to climb a mountain, then sip wine as the sun goes down.
A friend and I went for pedicures together; it was her first time to experience such pampering. Let me just say "Hot rocks rock!"
I loved having my legs and feet massaged, love my chestnut polish and the wheat shafts art work on my big toe, complete with a tiny amber colored diamond.
Maybe I'll post a picture later....we'll see, maybe if you are really good.

Right next door to the pedicure shop is our local Ace Hardware store.
They are VERY into barbecue and deep fat frying, and before major holidays they always set up tents and get the barbecue, smokers and fat pots going to cook up things that taste delicious

Frying in woks is a cooking method too...

Check out that turkey breast wrapped around a sausage. Yum...
There was chicken, pork, turkey...

Yes, this events cures vegetarianism one sample at a time.

Naturally we here in Texas demand well balanced barbecue and deep fat frying demonstrations.
The boys threw some twinkies and brownies into some batter and deep fat fried them too.
T'aint bad at all...don't knock it until you try it!

After making the circuit around all the cooks, I went into the hardware store, just to see what was available for the upcoming holidays.
It is a rather unusual Ace hardware store, by most standards.
It's a place where you can buy fine china and crystal stemware.

Lenox...ah, pretty!
The owner of the hardware store is just the sweetest guy. His wife enjoys selling lovely things, so about a third of the store is dedicated to interior decoration, stationary, home fragrances, and holiday decorations.

Remember, we are in Texas....
No matter where you go, they never let you forget it.

Even Santa is expected to don University of Texas Longhorn orange when he comes visiting around here.

Back out front, the Kingwood High School girl's lacosse team was selling bake goods to raise money.
Have I mentioned how our state keeps getting named the fattest state in the Union?
Can you detect why this keeps happening to us?

I have no idea who "Aunt Sara" might be, but I'm telling you, the old gal can mix up a mean Sweet Potato pie.
(Yes, I bought it, ten bucks, and it came with a faux gold charger to boot.)
Show of hands: How many people reading this have ever had a slice of Sweet Potato Pie?
Show of hands: How many people are reading this with their face wrinkled up in disbelief?

All I can say is, if you get the chance, give it a try.
And be sure to say the name like this: Sweetpotatapie.

It rained lightly on and off all day. Bernie stepped out the kitchen door into the garage to get something, and this little froggie jumped a mile high throught the kitchen door and onto the floor.

Bernie rounded the little guy up...

Introduced him to Tiggie, and after a few more froggie round ups (the thing just BOUNCED like crazy all over the place), let him go in the planters by our front door.

All in all, it was a very nice day don't you think?

7 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Ah, a lovely saturday with Jill. Thanks. The only flaw, was that long horn atrocity. Let me state, that Texas A & M is the BEST of the WEST. Gig'em Aggies. And Animal 8, the squadron of the greatest guys. (One of whom is my DH.)

If you have not been to A & M for a football game, you have not yet had the full and ultimate Texas experience.

First go to the squadron dorms. Watch the Yell Leaders rally the troops. Then watch the squadrons form up, then the Band leads the parade to the stadium. Run, run to a variety of streets and corners so you can see the troops marching along.

Next, get into your stadium seat fast, before the Band starts the march around the track that rings the field. It is a marvelous sight.

And if you are very lucky, you will also get to view the Ross Drill Team. Oh my, what precision.

Last but not least, the game, the spirit, the Aggies. YES!!

Some Saturday, try it, you'll like it.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Hmmm...Aggies v UT this coming Friday...Jane, I think you've given me an idea.

Lovella ♥ said...

Ah Texas. I love the little tidbits Jill style. I am quite amazed at the eatery's out there. You must have done near starve yourself up here in the high country. Shoot, next time you come I'm breaking out the deep fat fryer, you won't get homesick so quick.
Sweet potatoe pie, I don't know if I've had it but I love sweet potatoes and I love pumpkin pie so I figure we're good.

Marie said...

Yes! Sweetpotatopie is awesome.

And, true Texans appreciate both A&M and UT - they both are wonderful institutions!

You had a busy day girl! Did you rehydrate some of that powdered wine and have a sip? Very interesting - I'm going to check that out.

Kate said...

Sorry, but I draw the line at deep fat fried Twinkies!

Cute l'il froggie tho'. K Q;-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh....Sweetpotatapie....love it, love it, love it!!!

I think every Ace Hardware store should have a fine home interiors section! I was in a farmer's co-op store this weekend looking at rocking chairs and toys...why not china and crystal in a hardware store?

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Yep, a delightful Saturday!

I love sweet potato pie, but I don't know about those deep fried twinkies.

And that tiny green frog--I love him or her too. Gorgeous green color, and so miniature!