Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Red and Green Azalea, White Millinery and Tree

There are random azalea blossoms around the garden. They looked really odd when the fall leaves were making the garden a rust and yellow scene.

Now the blossoms stand out in the midst of the bare branches, looking like Christmas tree ornaments.

White fur and white velvet, and a diamond accent; this is such a lovely winter's dress hat. I think of Wallis Simpson when I see this hat. I have no idea why. I really don't know the era for sure, 1950's? Earlier?

It originally belonged to my grandmother, my dad's step-mother, who I refer to as "The Belle of Memphis". She would have looked great in this hat.

Joan looks good in this hat.

I, however, look just horrid in it.

I've tried it on with hair pulled back in a french twist, with my hair short, curly, with and without bangs.

Ever so often I try it on again, hoping that this time it will jive with me.

Hats do that you know.

I've had hats that I swore I would never be able to wear, and then one day, the hat just works. I have no idea how that happens.
I wish it would happen with this hat.
It would be perfect for wearing in a Winter Wonderland!

Posted by Picasa And speaking of Winter Wonderlands, I got one of the little trees up yesterday.

I used all my gold, crystal, and white ornament, most of which have to do with our December wedding, and our theme "Joy to the World" and doves.

Tiggie is mostly interested in the doves part.

This is the first time I've ever put the crystal nativity set under the tree. It turned out to be a nice touch. Presents will be put on the floor under the little drum table.

Knowing we will be leaving on Dec. 19 through Jan. 1, I planned on just doing a little decorating this year.

I put up the mice, the angels, (more about those two items later...) and this tree.
I will do the bedroom multicolor tree today.

It surprised me how exhausting just that little bit of decorating was.

I wanted to have decoration, but I found that it was difficult to not see it as "just work" after a couple of hours. I put on a Christmas radio station, hoping that would help. Instead I now loathe Andy William's version of "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" after it was play three times in three hours.

Ditto "Feliz Navidad" ("I want to wish you a Merry Christmas"...all I want to say is: OK then, just DO IT, and stop repeating yourself!!!)

Note to Hispanics: Please, oh please write a better Spanish language Christmas song than that one!
The songs that are written in French, Latin, German, and Italian have more that fourteen words (just 14!) in their songs...get a Spanish dictionary and get going.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Merry Christmas! Love the hat, the tree and the blossoms.

Happy Day!

Marie

Kate said...

Your decorations look great! I've been doing some trimming here too - all new stuff since my treasures are in storage. May I recommend Linda Eder's Christmas CD, Christmas Stays the Same? It's one of the few I brought over here and I never get tired of it.

Happy Holidays!
Kate Q:-)