Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lake Houston-Summer

This is the part of Lake Houston that is about a football field from my house. Lake Houston is a man-made lake, and goes for many miles down towards the gulf. It is really neat to walk to, as there are paths all around the lake, winding through woods and meadows.

I have seen fireflies in the loblolly pines at night, and deer, and several kinds of snakes (eeekkkk!)

The water is a muddy blue, as the soil is clay around this area. That real southern "muddy water" motif, along with cicada sounds in the trees, warmth, humidity, and cypress knees poking up around the water edge makes it all seem "another world" to this southern California native. Sometime I just can't believe I am so lucky to have all this just a short walk from my front door.

I've swam in the water, just to say I did. You can almost walk all the way across up to shoulder level. People do catch fish, and B. and I bought flies to go fly fishing, someday.

I thought I would post this as a beginning of a four season study.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: