Monday, December 31, 2007

SLC Christmas: December 30th Sunday

Well, my snow man was still out front on Sunday morning.
My Southern California upbringing explains why I expect Mr. Snowman to be knocked down or melted by now.
But he is still there, with a fresh dusting of snow on his cap.
We both are still smiling.


Things got a little complicated. Jeff was scheduled to assist with the church parking for three services, and snow was falling. I could have driven him to church, come back for Bernie, gone to church, driven home, then gone back to get him.
I am not too familiar with the area, and am skittish about driving his car on snow.
So Bernie and I stayed home and packed up while Jeff did his duties.
The snow fall was the heaviest that we had during our nine days in Salt Lake City. Snow flakes the size of quarters were dancing in the air, and gusts of wind swirled the air to whiteness.

I wanted to sit and stare out the window...but packing up takes time.
Jeff got back after freezing in the parking lot for hours helping people.
It was the wind that made it nasty of course.



We left a good two hours early for the airport, knowing it would be packed with holiday travelers and we would need to take it slow getting around.

Nine days...and as we left all I could think of was that I wanted just one more day....
It truly was a perfect Christmas time, even with Bernie's injury.
The beauty of the area and cozy family time: perfection.
And I even got to do all the baking that I wanted to do.
Most years that facet gets lost in the shuffle.
Once we were at the airport Continental Airlines was terrific. Jeff parked at the curb and ran our two suitcases inside while I backpacked my computer and carried Bernie's computer bag.
Continental staff came up to us immediately and got Bernie into a wheel chair. The guy who was helping Bernie was a blessing...he took Bernie's shoes off for security check through, and put them back on, and was helpful to me as well.
He had a small high cross on his tie, and he did the symbol proud by his care to a stranger.
Once on board the small regional jet we wedged into the bulk head seats. Bernie tried to sit sideways, and I swung my knees sideways as well. (see my knees in the lighter colored jeans in the picture above)
It was looking like it would be a very uncomfortable three hours for us.
I am most grateful for all the prayers for our trip. A single seat was available across the aisle; I was able to decamp, and Bernie sat sideways in relative comfort by resting the foot of his injured leg atop his other foot.
If he had been a half inch taller he simply would not have fit into the space.
The snow had stopped by the time we boarded the plane. Of course I enjoyed seeing all the snowy scenery from the air.

The unfrozen Great Salt Lake like a glowing sapphire nestled in lace.
I thought this was an odd geologic formation. It looked like a razor sharp ridge.

Once we landed, another gentleman awaited us with a wheel chair for Bernie. He helped grab our luggage from the conveyor belt, and assisted us to the airport door. I hopped a shuttle, got our car from the parking lot, and swung back to get Bernie.
Whew...it all turned out just fine.

It did feel good to get back to a sparkling clean house, and to slip into a bed with fresh sheets that were ironed and scented with lavender. The extra effort before we left really paid off in "ahhh.." factor after rushing around the airport.

Both the cats were very please to resume their guardian of Bernie positions.
It was good to be home, even thought I kept thinking that I smelled just a whiff of cigar in the living room.
I asked the boys about it, but they said they had no idea what I was talking about.

All in all, it was a wonderful sixth Christmas day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew. I'm worn out after all that traveling and making-do. I'm so glad to see Tiggie and Hart taking on their guardianship duties...cigar smoke and all.

Lovella ♥ said...

Jill, I'm so relieved that you and Bernie made it home ok. I was wondering how it would all turn out.
Your time with family was nearly perfect. Next year, have Bernie go skiing on the last day of Christmas . ..
Those kitties look mighty content too. Tiggie, be good.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Bernie looks thoroughly worn out from that airplane ride...and Tiggie and Hart look so very innocent; you'd never know they hosted that wild party while you were gone!

Glad you made it home safe and sound, and with all that good help along the way.

Have a happy New Year's eve. Ours will be a quiet one here too.