Sunday, August 12, 2007

It's hot...and it's here!



How hot is it? 100 degree F. (37.7 C.)

The weather.com site informs me it feels like it is 112 F. (44.4 C.)

It is THAT hot.

The grackles are standing around in the parking lots with their beaks hanging open. The way I caught him against the background of trees makes him look like he has his beak propped open with a little stick.
A little stick is not necessary. They stand around with the beaks hanging open without any help at all.

I want to tell them to head for the trees where it is a little bit cooler, but they seem to prefer to stand on baking hot cars and look pathetic.

I have no sympathy for them if they are going to be that stubborn.


I had to go to the grocery store. I've been putting it off for several days.
When Bernie is out of town it is possible to fake it and just nosh on what ever is in the fridge or in the cupboard. But I just couldn't fake laundry detergent, so off I went, on a Sunday afternoon, on probably the hottest day of the year.

Serves me right, shopping on a Sunday.

The place was packed with other Sabbath scoffers, and that made shopping even more difficult.


At least I can always count on H-E-B to have something amusing to offer in their store.

Today it was an alligator and a turtle made from pineapple skin, residing in the deli case.

Gotta admit, they were kind of cute!

I felt like I had shopped for an hour; my cart was overflowing with paper towels and flats of water bottles and kitty litter and such, and I was almost going to skip the ice cream aisle, when my common sense kicked in.
When the weather is this hot, at the very least I want to have limeade or lemonade fruit Popsicles available to me.
At 80 calories per Popsicle, they are a sensible treat.

Then my "common sense" handed me over to "Pay Attention!" which reminded me that Blue Bell Ice Cream had not yet released this year's limited edition of cantaloupe ice cream, and it would be a really good idea to check the Blue Bell Ice Cream section, just in case it was here.

IT WAS!

( I don't get it: "Still a 1/2 Gal." )

Sorry I can't do more than provide you with pictures.
Maybe you can fake it with vanilla ice cream mixed with your own fresh cantaloupe.
It's a treat worth waiting for.
Especially on a VERY hot day.

And it is now 101 degrees F. outside, and it is 4:15 pm.
It actually could get a few degrees hotter before night fall.

Dear God:
Thank you so much for blessing me with air conditioning.
Thank you for Blue Bell Cantaloupe Ice Cream.

And I apologize for grocery shopping on Sunday.
Amen.

PS: If you could let me go somewhere where it is a little cooler, soon, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
Jill

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Still a 1/2 gallon" - many manufacturers make their containers smaller while keeping the price the same or even raising it. They wisely don't point out the size change. Debbie (Sara's sister from Much Ado . . . )

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh now I'm hungry for canteloupe icecream.
Do you not feed your crows down there? That poor thing looks positively skinny.
I can't imagine the heat. I don't want to make you jealous but I just checked our weather channel, and its 18 C. with more of the same to come. It's a tad cool for me, something half way in between would be perfect.
Enjoy that ice cream, it does look so refreshing.
We had fresh blackberry pie for our dessert. Twasn't half bad.

Marie said...

Okay, Jill! I'm going at lunch today and get some of that Cantaloupe and Cream Ice Cream. Surely they have it at the Rice Epicurean a block from my office. They must! I've got to get some before it's all gone!
Am I a melon case or what?!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hmmm... I'm trying to imagine cantaloupe and ice cream....I know I like orange and ice cream; remember those Half and Half Bars?? I guess they still make those, I haven't looked. I bet cantaloupe and ice cream is just as tasty. And the perfect way to cool off, I'd say. Very sensible of you!

Otis, Indee and Tobee too!! said...

that's a mighty fine looking piece of bird jerky. We ain't fussy.

Jane Carlstrom said...

Hi Jill, came to visit your blog and say hi. Thank you for finding me and my blog and for leaving such nice messages. It is a wonderful honor to have you link to Glorious Hats. Thank you so much!
Happy Hattitude, Jane