Friday, June 02, 2006

Bigger, brighter smiles for all. And chicken too.

The rain has finally stopped. As I absolutely adore rain, I do not say this with glee, but rather to reassure all of you who may have tuned into “The Weather Channel” and feared floods and calamity were upon us here in NE Houston. Instead the Rainbow and Noah Accords still stand, and it is a beautiful, if warm, day.

Yesterday I got a hold of myself and turned to. I worked out at the gym, and then I vacuumed, dusted and laundered our entire estate.

On the way to pick up B’s car from the shop we stopped to eat at Popeye’s Chicken, a fast food establishment near where I work, in an ethnically diversified area of Houston. I keep thinking I am immune to cultural shock, but I guess not. Inside we were treated to eye-popping smiles from all the counter help, their smiles enhanced by culturally trendy additions of “grills”.

You know, gold covered teeth sparkling with a diamond on each incisor. On both upper and lowers. This makes me think that either fast food workers make more money than I had thought, or that they have more comprehensive, and open-minded dental plans. In my world, getting one plain vanilla crown to address a single broken molar usually maxis out our dental coverage, and leads to discussions about tapping savings accounts or credit cards. Adding diamonds and details is simply out of the question.

In light of this revelation, I’m rethinking my skills and career path. With a little work, I think I can learn to say “Would you like fries with that citation?”

It’s a start.

No comments: