Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fishing and looking around


First time I have seen a Bald Eagle in the wild in lower 48 states. 
Can you believe I thought it was an osprey at first?


Even bald eagles have "bad hair/feather" days I guess.

It was just nice enough outside last Saturday that Bernie got an itch to go fishing on the Weber.
The contractor was still working the day before, and the house was a mess, and I wasn't in a particularly good mood, so I decided I would tag along just to see what I could see.

Bleak, yet somehow beautiful too...
He said he didn't think he would go wading.
But he wore his waders anyway.


We climbed over a stile and pushed through the smelliest cow pasture I had ever experienced in my whole life.  Why frozen cow poop and pee should be smellier than what I have experienced around these parts in summer is a mystery to me.
The cows looked cute with their blotchy white faces that seemed to match up with the white blotchy snow around them.

The red cow had an especially sweet face, and stuck around to stare at me while all the other cows took off in the other direction.

Sweet face. I wanted to get even closer but I had already pushed the limit just getting this shot.

Color co-ordinating cows with their surroundings:  Something I'll bet the rancher isn't too concerned about.

The Weber looked dreadfully cold to me, but beautiful.

I left Bernie setting up his fishing rod at stream side while I enjoyed the views.

If you'd like, you can enjoy seeing these views in a full screen slide show format by clicking HERE
I used the Picasa "email the pictures to my blog" trick, but I think the pictures are just not quite as clear when I post them that way. It does save me some time, but I think the slide show is a better option to really enjoy the photographs.


Bernie was chagrined to discover three other anglers out on his favorite fishing spot.

Supposedly we were to get snow, and the sky kept darkening up like it was planning to snow, but nothing came of it after all.

Except for the fact that there was just enough of a breeze that my eyes kept watering, I was very happy to be walking about freely and taking pictures out here in the country side..

The ice shelf on the side of the stream was pretty thick, but I still wondered if it really was safe to walk on.


(I knew he would wind up wading... and he grumbled about how cold he was afterwards too!)







Funny how snow can make even junk look artistic.  This was some sort of cage or something on the stream's edge.
I never get tired of seeing animal tracks in the snow.
It made me chuckle to see the little slip that the wee critter took at the top of the hill.





Tattered fences look good out in the country. If this was the fence in my back yard in the suburbs I would be chomping at the bit to get it re-done.
Location, location, location changes everything.


Bare  broken trees look great out here too.  If that was in my neighbors yard...well, I would wonder what they were going to do about it.


Spying a nest always makes me happy...even a nest that has clearly seen better days.

I felt so greedy...the sky was magnificent, the colors wonderful and the white snow just set everything off perfectly.  Every view was a perfect view for another picture.


Big sky views...


Fragile small bits of ice and wind blown ripples upon the water...


Graceful shoreline curves marked out in ice...
You can barely see Bernie blending in to the scene.


I will try to remember this spot and get this seen in spring, summer and fall.
Oh definitely it needs to be photographed in all four seasons.


Streams and ice still are a treat to me, after growing up in the Southern California land of oceans and near constant warmth.



Now why should the snow melt around the base of these bare shrubs?
I liked the dotted effect they created in the snow.


Would you believe it? It took quite a bit of time for me to figure out that shadowy part of the snow was actually ice over a shallow bay part of the stream.


I call this shot: "Snow Snake".
Or maybe it should be "Old Man Winter's Mustache".


The cows had lumbered off, this was where they had stood earlier.


Wonder if cows ever appreciate nice views like these?


A patch job of a fence seems most eye pleasing when framed in snow.

My sheep friends, the ones I always chat up whenever we are out at the Weber.
This time they didn't rush over to talk like they usually do.


They seemed completely engaged in nibbling the bits of green grass that were peeking out of the melting snow. 
Can't say I blame them.  Usually this pasture has snow that could be measured in feet instead of inches this time of year.


Bernie likes the red house on the hillside beyond the sheep.
It is a nice touch of color, especially this time of year.


A nice neat fence, and the clouds over the mountains look threatening..


But just when I would think the storm was about to come, the sun would break through again and the white field would turn into a dazzling display of rainbow flashing diamonds.

Bernie got one nibble on his fishing line, but reeled in nothing for dinner.

We went out for Chinese food on the way home, (still wearing our mud caked boots), to a place where the food is much better than the atmosphere. 
I didn't care about that.
My soul's need for beauty had already been well fed through my camera's eyes.


7 comments:

Vee said...

Beautiful photography and wonderful subjects all. Your words were as lovely as the scenery. I didn't even know that Picasa would send photos to a blog. Interesting. I've often wondered how people do such image laden posts. I can't handle doing them myself, but certainly enjoy it when others do.

Lovella ♥ said...

Beautiful pictures Jill. We looked at them together over our coffee this morning. Winterscape perfection.

ellen b. said...

Whoa! Such beautiful scenery you have in your back yard. The shots of the eagle are amazing. I'm still waiting for an eagle camera encounter. I'd really love an owl encounter, too. I'm glad your spirits were lifted by being out in God's beauty...

RoeH said...

Love the Wasatch! Great pictures but I'm a little chilled looking at them. No wait. I'm just cold here in this house. That's it.

Ocean Soul said...

You had a fabulous day at the Weber! Love the beauty that is there just waiting to be seen and appreciated! Good to see that you are having fun with your camera too!

Judy said...

The 'just looking around' resulted in some lovely photos!

Julie said...

Such gorgeous photos.. I LOVE how the four seasons can change a landscape.
I love the little tracks that look like perfect crotcheted stitches and the snow snake/mustache depending on how you look at it ...the stunning blue of the sky... I love them all!