Monday, August 14, 2006

Millinery: Silhouettes

A silhoutte artist created this image of me. I had always imagined silhouettes were created by projecting light at a profile, and then tracing the resulting shadow. At least that was how it was done in elementary school, both for myself in the 1950's and my own children in the 1980's.

A silhoutte artist works differently. She had me sit looking forward next to a window. She lifted her scissors and a piece of black paper and began to snip away as we chatted.

In about 10 minutes she was finished.

Wow.

Since this was at a "hat ladies" event, I got to watch her capture several of my friends in their favorite hats. One clever gal brought a couple of her "favorite" hats (a favorite hat is which ever one make you feel pretty at the moment...) and had two silhouettes made that day. The price was certainly right, something like $20? Worth every penny.

Millinery guru Kate turned her silhoutte into her business card graphic and website logo.

It's an addictive pasttime, getting one's silhouette made. Let me recommended this old fashion way of capturing an image to everyone, young and old, men and women both. After seeing silhouettes with and without hats, let me also recommend having your silhouette enhanced with the addition of a hat, a lively one. You absolutely won't regret it.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT AN ENDORCEMENT>>>I HAVEN'T TRIED IT <<<website

(Oh, and by the way, I made the hat. It is a black velveteen buckram based hat, blocked on my wooden profile block, the one that is high in the front and lower in the back. It is trimmed with black satin bias edge...note how the artist captured that detail gleam...and black satin rosette on the side, with a vintage red feather emerging from under the rosette. The hat is just a crown/pillbox form, and sits back on the crown of my head. My bangs have gown out now, and it doesn't quite look right on me anymore. Too bad, I really liked wearing that hat. It was one of my favorites!) Posted by Picasa

No comments: