Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Tea: Hats and Gloves!


Valentine events:  I've got them covered, millinery wise.
I've made a flirty little cocktail Valentine hat in case I ever get asked out for cocktails on Valentine's day.
(This has yet to happen...)

A Scottish style cap for a casual lunch Valentine date...
(This has actually happened.)

And I have made, years ago, what I would consider a Valentine Tea hat just in case someone decides to put on a Valentine's tea.
And thank goodness, at long last, someone HAS decided to put on a Valentine's tea!
A Valentine's High Silver Tea no less.
About twenty ladies from my church will be in attendance this coming weekend.
I thought about what I should wear:
 Obviously the tea hat of course.
I decided I would go low key with the outfit: a white tailored blouse under a wrap front black cardigan that is pulled together with an interesting black obi style belt, a black pencil skirt, and black heels.
A red hat delivers enough punch so a plain black and white outfit would work for balance.
I tried the pieces on and then decided white gloves really would look smart too.
After all...a high SILVER tea surely means gloves, right?
I dug out my small collection of white gloves (lace, sheer, cotton, kid, wrist, short, arm length... the decision was easy, the short gloves worked with the long sleeves.)
As so often happens, I had been looking at historical clothing on line and had seen some really awesomely decorated/trimmed1800's era gloves.
Plain white gloves seemed rather blah after seeing how gloves could look.

So why not add to the white gloves?
Doll them up; make them match the hat!
I got out my hat trimming ribbon collection and got to work.

What do you think?

Here's a closer look at the hat's trim.

Some of the trim was ready made, some I stitched from plain ribbon.
I had trimmed the hat before I had had a chance to study ribbonry; I used several ready made flowers and was glad to be able to local those same flowers again at the local fabric store.

I did have help with the project of course.
All three cats cruised by to check out the ribbons and feathers and such.
They try to help, they really do.
I will blog a photo of the outfit as I go to the tea.
What do you want to bet I will be the only woman there in a hat?
Or in gloves? 
Tsk.
I do hope some other woman will at least wear gloves.

Yes, I do love Valentine's Day.
I walked Luke over to the grocery store because I thought he might get a kick out of seeing all the Valentine's Day balloons that are for sale.
One area of the store has a ceiling full of mylar balloons.
He was mildly interested.
I told him all about Valentine's Day, and how guys are supposed to buy their sweethearts flowers and candy and balloons and cards and take them out for a special date and be really romantic.

I think Luke is going to be one of those guys who really, really hates Valentines Day.
Just a hunch.
What do you think?
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Kathie said...

It certainly doesn't look like his thing :)

A silver tea? Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to outfit and event pictures!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Luke is getting so big! What a cutie. I think he's not so sure what all the valentine's day hoopla is all about...maybe when he gets a chocolate treat in the future he'll change his mind ;)

Thnaks for the Nikon camera tip. The camera repair shop wants over $300 to repair it! I told them to forget it as I'd rather invest that money in a new upgraded camera. I'll try your tip when i pick it up -- worth a try!

Have a wonderful time at your church's tea. Your hat and glove set will look very elegant. My son and his family love to wear hats..if you look at the post where I announce my grand daughter's birth, they all visited her in the hospital wearing hats, except the youngest.

Vicki said...

That sweet little face cracked me up! I love that he doesn't look very thrilled about the hearts and flowers and balloons thing going on in the store!

I love that hat and gloves! Perfect! You'll look so elegant for the tea. I'm looking forward to seeing your photo.

Rosella said...

Speaking of LoVE today ... I LOVE your hats!!! Wow - they are wonderful and what fun to have a Silver Tea Party. Your outfit sounds perfect.
Have a wonderful time!

ellen b. said...

He really does look dismayed over it all!
What fun that you get to go to a Valentine tea and wear one of your hats! The gloves are fun.

Vee said...

They all hate it, don't they?

Do I spy a primula there? Gorgeous colors on that one.

Yay that you'll share your outfit this weekend. You'll be beautiful, of course. Perhaps the gals will ask for tips on how to dress appropriately for a high silver tea.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Your upcoming tea sounds lovely, and your planned wardrobe is going to be stunning. Love the gloves and hat! Poor Luke . . . he's so cute but perhaps a bit bewildered by all the hoopla with hearts and balloons!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The red hat does seem perfect with a black and white ensemble. You make it sound so beautiful. I never get dressed up any more. How nice it would be. And this little guy just needs some Valentine chocolate! heehee! Sweet hugs!

Anneliese said...

I love how you can feel so confident wearing a hat and I want to see a picture! I would love to wear a hat, but can't get over the feeling that everyone would be looking at me. =)
Why can't they be a normal part of our wardrobe? It would save a lot of bad hair days.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I would venture to guess, that you were the best dressed lady at your High Tea party. The hat, the gloves, and the outfit you so fittingly chose, sounded like the perfect thing to wear to such a special occasion. Were you the only lady with a hat on? If I lived closer, and had the hat selection to choose from that you do, I would have worn a hat. The red hat is one of my favorites of all that hats you shared.