Monday, February 11, 2013

Snowflakes and Smiles


While New England was being pounded by Nemo, out here in Utah we were picking up quite a bit of snow too.
I was eager to try to photograph the flakes; as it turned out the snow was not very amendable to my plans.

At first the snow blew so hard and fast that the snowflakes were splatted as they hit any surface.
When the winds died down, the flakes turned to sand like bits that had no interesting structure at all.

Then the temperature rose to above freezing.
I watched perfectly formed flakes melt as soon as they landed on any surface.

Not to be denied a photo session, I drove up the mountain to find a lower temperature.
Up there the flakes were still being blown about and were rimed, that is, the crystal structures were coated with frozen water droplets.

Most of the flakes looked like big shaggy white blobs.
This one had a bit of crystal structure still showing.

It wasn't that much above freezing even up in the mountains so I often had to watch the flakes melt just as I got a good focus.
Plus I had no good place to set up my tripod so I had to hand hold my shots.

This one was the best of the lot.
Beautiful isn't it?

Since it is Monday, I thought I post a few smiles that may put a smile on your face.
Baby smiles tend to make anyone smile!

You are welcome to enjoy a quick game of peek-a-boo...

I think the world would be a better place if we all could get in a round of peek a boo at least once a day.

Luke will be ten months old tomorrow.
Time has flown...

Tate is Luke's very best buddy; the cat stays within reach of Luke even when Luke is swinging toys about.
Tate has learned to duck when needed!

Happy Monday everyone!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Vee said...

Oh I do love the snowflakes, but who can resist a game of Peekaboo?

It is quite wonderful to see snowflakes wearing snow stoles and more wonderful to see the handsome little grand playing the ages-old game. You're right, he made me smile.

Grandma G said...

Smiles, indeed! What a cutie! :)

Love your snowflakes, even if imperfect... still incredible shots!

I posted spiky hoar frost today. :)

Lorrie said...

Beautiful snowflakes, but oh what cute smiles on that sweet face!

ellen b. said...

I really find the snowflakes you photograph so amazing. Your little guy really does put a smile on my face!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

You made me smile for sure . . . and so did Luke.

Lovella ♥ said...

Jill,
Those are just beautiful photos of Luke! It indeed brought a smile to my face to see his smile focused on you!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Yes, a baby's smile can light up the world! L


Your snowflake photos are a world unto themselves. Such fragile beauty frozen in time--gorgeous!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Your photography of the snowflakes is so fascinating to me. The last one is so intricately designed. Wow! What a Designer they each have!

The little guy is too adorable for words! His smile makes me smile. Thanks for sharing it.