Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yellow!

The supermarket two blocks down the way has the cutest displays!
Utah "Salt and Pepper" corn was stacked high, and on sale: 10 ears for 98 cents!
The store knew this was going to be a door buster sale and were well prepared for additional business.
Look closely: They also displayed everything else you would need for a big corn on the cob feast.
Napkins, big pots for boiling corn, butter, salt and pepper, corn "stickers", aluminum foil so if you wanted to throw the corn on the grill, grills...
What else could you possibly need???

Well, dental floss of course! They really DID think of everything!

They even set up a Shuckin' Station!

Isn't "salt and pepper" corn pretty?
Jeff and Rachel invited us to dinner. We brought the corn and the bread...they grew the tomatoes for the salad.

Oh yum!

Sunny summer yellow goodness.

More yellow: I enjoyed the yellow roses on my dining table, and am experimenting with candles and my Wheeling gold china tea service collection from the 1920's. The china was decorated with 24 K gold. I wonder how much they would be worth if they were sold for their gold instead old tea pots?

Outside we are having the yellow breasted black headed grosbeaks visiting our bird feeders.
The yellow sunshine of summer is glowing everywhere!

8 comments:

Judy said...

They defintely thought of it all...dental floss should be right next to the corn-on-the-cob! We had the same corn for dinner last night...love it.

Hmmmm? What comment about going back to college? I'm not thinking of going back to school in any form...well maybe the odd course at 'elder college'!

Lovella ♥ said...

$.98....really? What a bargain. We have tons of corn fields here in the valley but if you don't grow it. . . it isn't on sale.
I didn't know there was salt and pepper corn. Our corn that looks like that is peaches and cream.
The store display is amazing. . . they clearly know how to make the money. Give the corn for free. . .let the people make the mess here and then sell them all the other stuff and full price.

Lovella ♥ said...

I forgot to say that your roses and tea service and candles are so very pretty.

Dolores said...

Here, bi-coloured corn is called Peaches and Cream. I just mentioned wanting some sweet corn to my husband earlier today.
I guess the supermarket really does take their job seriously with the marketing technique of having everything in one place.

Kimmie said...

What a crazy, crazy sale. Wow, I am surprised you didn't get knocked down taking those pictures (or did you have a bodyguard?)

Your table looks lovely. Nice pictures.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Kimmie said...

P.S.- I love that your parents read your blog everyday! Too sweet!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Vicki said...

Ummm...that corn looks yummy! We had fresh-picked Silver Queen right out of William's garden when we were in KY recently.

Doc said he's so happy to see the dental floss display...as am I (I won't eat corn still on the cob unless I have my floss with me!).

I love the yellows and golds...those are great colors for mid-Summer. (It's definitely mid-Summer in Florida...did you look at the tropical radar this evening?)

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Yellow is a wonderful color...it often tastes good too....corn, lemons, pattypan squash....