Sunday, October 05, 2008

Sculptures are EVERYWHERE!

This town is absolutely crazy about public art! And I find it especially nice that all of it is either whimsical, or sweet. Take the weather vane man above. It's a man; it's a plane; the propellers spin in the breeze as he swoops and pivots about.

A single propeller, (or is it a seedling?) flies along right beside him.

They inhabit a small lavender planted median on the street that I take to work.

A quarter of a block further down the street is this tribute to the joys of paper airplanes. Or at least that's what I think it is.

Right behind it is a beehive, with bees that are shaped like flying pigs.

Why flying bee pigs?

I have no idea.
But I do know they give a by passer a reason to chuckle in the morning!

That's a good enough reason anyway, don't you think?
(I drive to work with the sun rise shining in my eyes, and these sculputures look just amazing glistening with morning dew!)


Kathy said...

I love public art! Not too much in my town but we do have a fine collection of benches downtown that are created by different artists. I've enjoyed watching them multiply, and I enjoy their diversity.

Glad to hear your enjoying so many things about your new neighborhood.

Vicki said...

How neat! I really like that paper airplane (or whatever it is) sculpture.

Sara said...

You know what they say...when pigs fly....anything can happen!

Lovella said...

Ah .. .such a great city. . I feel like this town is so you .. as though you have actually come home to where you belong.

Islandsparrow said...

I love whimsy! The flying bee pigs make me smile too :)

Maureen said...

Very interesting art works. I like the flying bees or pigs.