Friday, July 14, 2006

Millinery: How the purple block came out: It's The Berries!

This may look simple, but it was not.
It took a couple of tries to get it right, as I struggled with brim issues, and silk too fine to hold a swirl, but here is the finished product.

It is made from an eggplant colored parasisol straw hood, first blocked on a profile block, then low rise crown block, and finally the tip was re-blocked for more rise. Brim is hand shaped.

Hat band is hand dyed (not by me!) china silk.
The ribbon store owner requested they not be identified.
Wonder what THAT is all about.
The rest from Leko.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

mj said...

I discovered your site about two weeks ago and have been reading avidly ever since. I was pleased to find a blog by someone other than a 20-something. I have enjoyed see your hats. I worked for a custom clothing designer for 5 years and we made lots of vintage, bridal and costume headwear. Our favorite ribbon store in our area (also on the web) was/is the Ribbonry in Perrysburg, OH. She stocks lots of unusual things from Europe and it was always one of our best trips--exploring her shop. I look forward to reading about more of your creations.

Kate said...

What it looks is LUSCIOUS! Kate Q:-)