Friday, February 24, 2012

Every year around now...

Aren't all the new glasses styles fun?

Every year around this time I go in for my annual eye exam. 
Then I go about deciding how my face will look for the next year or so.

Ahh...the joy of picking out glasses frames while blind!

You see, I have such poor vision that without my prescription lens to see through everything I look at is just a soft foggy blur.  

Sample glasses oddly NEVER have my prescription inserted. Whazzup with that?  lol!

Trying to decide what I might look like in new glasses was always such a problem.

Then it dawned on me to just take a snap shot of myself so I could get a look, and also be able to get a view of how the glasses looked from the side too.
Fun colors are often sneaked inside the frames where they can't be readily seen.

So let's get started on the selection process.

#1:

I think this is a fun frame, especially with the orange inset color pop.
Reality check: The large lens area would mean large lens, which would mean that my glasses would weigh an uncomfortable amount on my face.  The larger the lens the thicker the lens becomes around the edges.

This frame is a no-go.  Darn it...it would be sooo cute at an OSU game with the orange and black school colors.
#2:
Nice...a tad large but I like the frame shape and colors.

Side view:  Well, those wide temple bars would block the view of crow feet.  But I think it looks sort of mask like.

No go.


#3: A bit smaller.  I would have to have nose pads added to raise the frames up to center on my eyes.

(As I discussed in my glasses hunting post last year at this time, glasses bridges come in sizes sometimes, my nose bridge is one size smaller than standard, and since few frame manufactures make the bridge to order, I have to use nose pad to hoist the frames up to be in the center of my eyes.)


Eh.  Just so-so.

#4: Like the shape.  Would need nose pads added but other wise pretty good.

I really liked the hinge detail when I was trying them on. And I like the lime outline detail on the temple bar.
Looking at this photo...not liking it now.

#5:  Like the turquoise inside peeking out bit.  Not so crazy about the colors and shapes in the temple bar.

Seems to have a bit of a "lite brite" vibe to me...if  you remember that popular toy from the 1980's.

This is actually a frame identical to the one I got last year, but in purple vs. deep purple blue in front of the frame, and turquoise vs. lime inside.

The purple color is more obvious in the next shot:

Not liking the purple....
Believe it or not...for the FIRST time ever in all the years that I have worn glasses...I decided I wanted to stay with my old frames!

Maybe because they have a hint of orange, and my favorite lime green backside.

Maybe because I actually get stopped on the street and asked where I got them.

Maybe I just am not ready for a change right now?

Anyway, new lens with current prescription are ordered and I will be good to go for another year.

Do you love your frames if you wear glasses?
Or are you ready for a change this year?
If you had to pick from the ones I tried on, which one would you have picked for me?

Just for the record...they are a Prodesign:Denmark frame.  I love so many of their frames...like candy they are! Love model 1681 and 1682.
LOVED this temple bar on this young miss who was shopping at the same time I was.
So professional...so trendy!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Funky trendy fun.....love it! You look adorable in glasses....and hats! Lucky you!

ellen b. said...

That was fun. What a great idea to take a photo of yourself so you could see what they really look like. Enjoy...

Lovella ♥ said...

You are much more able to wear an assortment of frames than I. It really is a struggle to find something that looks okay. I recently took my old frames and had another set of my new prescription inserted. I made the mistake of putting transition lenses in my new frames and am not loving them for outdoor photos.

Now I have my old ones and my this last years models to decide with what I will wear. I like that option.

Vee said...

Oh good heavens, Jill. I can't choose magnifiers for myself. I wouldn't be any good to select ones for you, though I did like the cover the crow's feet or forget the peripheral vision ones. Your own glasses are great. There is such a fine line between too big and too small, too much and just enough.

Pondside said...

Since having laser surgery I've been able to buy readers - every colour and every shape - it's fun!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I also wear glasses and decided to stick with the same frame this year as it is made of titanium and is very light and comfortable. Luckily, I also have contacts so I wear them whenever I have to go glasses shopping so I can see how the glasses look.