Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Having a Holiday Ball

For most company holiday parties, the dress code was "elegance", including wearing stilleto heels, a cocktail dress or a formal gown.
The parties included being flown to a city (Chicago, New Orleans, Newport Beach CA, Washington DC, Houston for instance) and staying in a fancy hotel for the weekend.
Attending a company dinner where waiters in tuxedos deliver delectable food and drink was the center point of the event.
The event usually included tossing off the heels to dance to eardrum splitting music, and trying to read the lips of people around me.
Trying to remember a few names.
Getting to see the city decked out for the holiday.
Joining with a few others for breakfast at the hotel restaurant.
Flying home on a Sunday afternoon.
Nursing sore feet acquired by dancing, sightseeing and  shopping in the city.
Nursing an inevitable cold acquired on plane flight.
Treasuring the memory of the private after party for two back in the hotel room after the party broke up.

Well, I've had my share of those sorts of company parties back in the day when companies didn't hesitate to spend millions on the annual company party.
All expense paid weekends:  Those days (for most companies) are gone forever.

Those days were wonderful, but for a really good time:
Skip the dressy high heels.
Wear bowling shoes instead.

Skip the cocktail dress, or the spaghetti strapped formal gown.
Wear a flannel shirt and sweat pants instead.

Instead of flying, just drive to the local bowling alley.
(Oh and let me tell you: it is such a joy to wear a down jacket to the company party instead of a dressy wrap in cold winter weather!)

At this company party, I already knew every one's name...and we didn't need to shout to over the music to talk either!

(I bowl "Professional" level on wii, in real life...well..I was the "J" player on this score board.)

We had to include "special" bowling techniques during our game.
I danced, I did a speed frame, and my legs were used to bowl through.
When it was discovered that a team mate playing patty cake on one's fanny tended to up the score, I was a willing participant.
(Which caused many chuckles from my 20something team mates.  We also chuckled that EVERYONE, including me, had to be carded before we could drink a beer with our pizza!)

Festive holiday wear, complete with a "carded" orange wrist band.

I had a blast!
The pizza and beer tasted great!
What a great holiday party!
Can't wait to do it again next year!
In fact, I think I might just plan a party for two really soon.
(No non-employees were invited...things really have changed in the company party world these days.)
I had no after party sore feet either, but I will own that my right wrist and tushie weree a little tender the next day.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

I like the idea of having a different set of "instructions" for bowling...that made for a lot of laughter, I'm sure! Your bowling score is pretty much like mine! (I'm much better on Wii bowling.)

We never did the big corporation Christmas parties, but we did nice dinner parties with colleagues (competition?) from around the district. We always had a good time...I do miss being around some of the good friends we made back then.

My son's company still does a big party - they fly in everyone plus one guest from around the country and rent out the Gaylord Palms for the weekend - everyone is wined and dined and dances and socializes and they do have a good time. That's ending for them, as his company was merged and the controlling company is pretty tight with a dollar. Oh, well, he made memories. Future parties will probably be beer and wings! LOL!

Vee said...

Sounds as if you're a gal who knows how to have some real fun! What a whacky bowling game that was...

Lovella ♥ said...

What a great company party idea. I always quite enjoyed the minimal dinner parties that we attended each year. It was a chance to dress up a little bit. .go to the local golf course and enjoy some food that I did not cook.
Your parties of the past sound quite extravagant. . .clearly a different company!!

You really are a great sport and no doubt everyone was so glad you attended. .even if you could not bring a date.

ellen b. said...

Dear just got home from his department Christmas party. No significant others welcome. But they did have a fancy do that I could have gone to for the whole company a couple weeks ago. This bowling party looks more my style for sure these days.

A Lady said...

Remind me to teach you how to go Hawaiian Bowling. It includes your best Hawaiian shirt, and the only "real" points you get are for style.
Our "not-for-profit" party was at El Torito. And cost $20 per person. But you could bring a guest. They just had to pay too.

Judy said...

Oh...I like the 'new' company party much better than the old! Though I might have preferred the elegant thing at one time...bowling would be my pick now. Sounds like fun!

Vanessa said...

Ooh fun!! I also love the idea of the different versions of the bowling games-will definitely have to try that some time! Looks like you guys had a blast! :)

RoeH said...

I'm a party pooper when it comes to company/work Christmas parties. But flying to all those places might turn me on. :)