Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Buzzed!

I'm pretty buzzed at how nicely the elections went today. It reminded me of another buzz from back in September. I had made a trip to the SLC Public Library to scout out the bee hive that reportedly had been stationed on the library roof top.
Sure enough, there were actually two hives up there in the roof top garden area. Utah has been encouraging people to consider putting hives on top of their taller buildings because there has been problems with getting enough healthy bee colonies to do what is necessary for pollination duties.
Lots of people got in on the plan and have reported that the bees on their roof tops have not bothered them a bit, and that they actually enjoy getting the side benefit of honey later on.
So who got the Library honey?
Everyone!
I was out camping that day, darn it, but apparently the honey harvest was absolutely delicious.
I'd be all for having a hive on my roof top, but since my Birthday Boy (Nov. 2) Honey of a Husband is allergic to bee stings, I will just enjoy the honey harvest via purchase at local honey outlets.

Feel free to pitch the idea of a hive being placed on your local library or other public spaces. I personally think it is just a honey of an idea!

7 comments:

ellen b. said...

Happy happy birthday to your birthday boy!!

Vee said...

Well I do, too. Course I imagine it has to be a flat roof. Our honey man says that it was a great year for honey so that was very good news. It's almost time to pick up some more.

Lovella ♥ said...

Happy Birthday to B.. . I hope he had a fantastic day. .with no bee stings.
What a great idea to put bee hives on top of flat buildings. We have been hives delivered to our area every spring to pollinate the berries. I have yet to taste Raspberry honey though. I'll have to look.

Vicki said...

Well, I guess I wouldn't have to ask such dumb questions if I'd keep caught up with the blog-reading!

I'm sorry I'm late, Bernie! I hope you had a wonderful birthday! :)

Yum...honey! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy birthday to your husband!

There are many people cultivating bee hives on their roofs where I live, and then selling the honey at green markets. I'm all in favor of that!

Judy said...

Hey...we saw those hives. Following up on some good advice, we visited the SLC public library on a VERY hot day back in August...and watched some bee activity while we were there. Fun idea.

Happy Birthday to your honey!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday to Bernie !!
and rhubarb pie? that makes ANY age birthday worthwhile ! smile.
Love that smart quail - guess he thinks differently, huh, Jill?? :-)

That tree is gorgeous - I'd love one in my yard.

Christmas decorations are for Christmas -- and Christmas comes in Dec.

By the way! your blog looks great!!!