Friday, September 25, 2009

A little more fishing in Little Cottonwood: Autumn Begins

Last Sunday was really special. Our church, K2, (itself a five year old church plant out of Kennsington Michigan) commissioned about 250 people to begin holding services at a church plant south of the main church. K2 has been holding 4 services each Sunday and was busting at the seams. People drove quite a distance to attend services, and it was clear that a church could be started in a community closer to where a lot of the people already live.

The first service of the new church will be held next Sunday!

On top of that, we saw the video of the latest group of people who got baptised. About 15 people...yes, God is still changing lives, and making fishers of men.

Bernie and I had various tasks to attend to during the afternoon, but around four o'clock we decided to head up to Little Cottonwood Canyon, about 15 minutes from our house.

The fall colors were lighting up the canyon walls.

And the growing evening shadows served as a perfect backdrop to show off the blazing bright colors.

Bernie was eager to wade into the river to do some more fly fishing.

I amused myself by taking pictures, as usual, and then curling up with the book "Eat, Drink and Be Wary: A Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking Mystery Novel" by Tamar Myers.
The main character is a modern Mennoite woman who runs an inn.
Her Amish distant cousin does the cooking.
I'll bet you had no idea there was such a book.
Not only is there such a book, there are actually about 15 titles in the series.
Recipes are included, and the laughs never stop.
I laughed so hard I almost wet my sturdy Christian underwear!
Oh the Mennonite, Amish and Presbyterian humor is spot on funny.
It was a good thing I was inside the car...otherwise I might have scared the fish away.

I love seeing Bernie get into the fly casting. Dry fly no less. Apparently dry flies are a bigger deal casting wise than wet flies.

It was pretty much autumn everywhere I looked.

(He was casting into that down river area...)
Then.....after a brief struggle...

A cute little spotty brook trout! It really was too small to keep. It was sent swimming merrily on its way moments later. Bernie actually caught a rainbow trout while I was snorting and giggling away in the car, but released it as well.

I love my fisherman in full fishing gear!
And I was really glad he had the head lamp...it was dark when we walked away from the river's edge.
No fish for dinner this time, but I was happy with my pictures, my book and heading home with my man.

6 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

We enjoyed your fishing post .. of men and beast alike.
The pictures are so awesome. . and now. ..I guess I'll have to look up that series of books. You have my interest.

Judy said...

What beautiful pictures! Sounds like a successful fishing trip all around...well, except for the lack of fish for supper.

Okay...I'm going to take note of the title & author of your hilariously funny Mennonite book. Who would have thought they could be humourous?

Julie said...

That book series sounds interesting.. I was disappointed you didn't share at least one of the humourous parts that caused you such mirth!
Utah is a very beautiful state...It seems to me scenery wise it is a lot like BC. Am I wrong?
A man fishing and a woman reading -- sounds perfect to me.

Vicki said...

I found that I can get the books (most of them, anyway) through our tiny local library! Guess what books are going into my on hold reading list?

Bernie looks great in that fishing gear...will we be seeing him on the Outdoor Channel next?

Islandsparrow said...

I think my husband would love to try fly-fishing there. I am ordering some of those books from the library - who would have imagined Mennonite, Amish and Presbyterian humor all together in one book?? I'm intrigued!

Anonymous said...

Well Jill you peeked my interest. Needing a few knew fun reads to have on hand, Sunday afternoon I headed to my favorte used book store in town and picked up some of Tamar Meyers books. The titles alone made me chuckle. I've started with Assault and Pepper. I have a stack of little paper backs to keep me entertained....and afew new recipes to consider. By the way...I loved the fishing post....Scot wears the same head lamp as Bernie, along with the hip waders, and a companion with a book. looks like you had a great time. Kathy