Tuesday, December 04, 2007

First Candle

I think about light...how light always wins over darkness.

A single candle can light a room, yet no amount of darkness can make the candle light invisible.

No amount of darkness in the world can ever blot out the one who declared "I am the light of the world."

This is a quote from an article in the local paper that I posted on my blog last year.
I still think it is interesting to think about:
"On the first day of Creation, God created light.
It's a special or "hidden" light that only lasted 36 hours.
During Hanukkah, every Jew has a way to tap into the hidden and special light.
At the end of the eight-day holiday, the candles have been lit 36 times."
That was the quote.
Bernie and I had to get out our Bible to figure this out.
At first we thought three days of creation before the sun and moon were made to make light as we know it.
But that added up to too many hours.
But then we re-read the story of Creation.
Indeed there was dark and light, evening and morning, so that would make the math right...three twelve hour portions of light that was present before the creation of the sun.
Interesting. I had never noticed that before!
The Light of the World was present even before the sun was created.
And in heaven, the Bible says, no sun will be needed any longer, for HE will be our light
Wow.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow, indeed! Marvelous post, Jill! Thank you for doing this.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

"Wow!" is right! Again I have learned something new. . .

Anonymous said...

I was watching the posted comments hoping someone would post an articulate, biblical explanation to our question. Maybe we dont really understand what light is..B