Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mars and Venus take a walk

A quick update on our SoCal families and friends; everyone that we know is fine, and I am so thankful for modern technology that allows instant information!

The downside of that is that I got very little done the last few days as I stayed glued to my laptop. I tip my hat to Catdirtsez coverage of the event and for making me laugh more than once. Sorry Catdirt's in-laws lost their home though.

Back in my neck of the woods...Bernie and I took a walk together on Saturday morning.
I'm going to share my pictures and our comments and dialog that I think once again shows how totally different men and women really are.

We are walking along, and I skid to a halt, back up and start taking pictures of a pretty mushroom glowing in the sunlight.
Me: "Wow that is so cool how the sunlight is falling just on that mushroom!"

Me: "Oh, look how pretty it is! It looks like a little fallen moon!"

Me: "Gosh, those little pleats and ridges, the soft yellow center...so lovely..."

(Me: Down on knees to get picture of underside.)
Me: "Pretty! That is so pretty how it was spotlighted against the pine needles! I'm so glad we got to see it."
We keep walking....
Me: "The grasses in the prairie area, look, it glistens with dew in the morning light. Stop, I want to take a picture."
Me: "It is like golden hair, matted and disheaveled upon the awaking of the dawn."

Me: "The dew drops, they are like diamonds, you can see rainbows and everything!"
(Babble babble babbled about pretty this, lovely that, snap, snap, snap...)
Now for Bernie's walk:
Bernie: "Look...there's a snake!"
Me: "Where???"
Bernie: "It just went under that log."
Me: "What kind was it?"
Bernie: "Oh a garter snake..."
Me: "How big?"
Bernie: "Not very big....you want to see it?"
(Jumps down to the log)
Bernie: "I'm going to roll the log, get ready to take a picture."
Me: (slightly worried):"Which way are you going to roll the log?"
Bernie: "I"ll roll it away from you, are you ready?"
Me: "I don't see it..."
Bernie: "Here, let me poke it with a stick..."
Me: "THAT IS NOT A GARTER SNAKE, THAT IS A BABY COPPERHEAD!"
Bernie: "Yeah, I know...yeah, that's it, strike me, bite my shoe..."
Me: "STOP PLAYING WITH THAT SNAKE!"
Bernie: "Yeah, bite me, bite me..."
Me: "You know, I know the difference between a garter snake and a copperhead now, you don't have to keep acting like all snake garter snakes...
(Bernie keeps poking snake....)
Me: "Oh geeze, if there is one baby copperhead, then there must be SEVERAL baby copper heads somewhere....
Bernie: "And a Mommy and a Daddy Copperhead somewhere too!"

Turn up your sound and see Bernie in action here!

5 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

It's so great being able to hear your voice as I remember it along with the dialogue. You'll have to run and look at Julie's mushrooms today too.
Your pictures were just great and I played the little clip about 5 times. Boys . . .

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Yep! We're different all right . . . Congratulations to you though, for remaining calm. I didn't hear any screams from you in the background while watching the video.

Julie said...

OK, I'll go for a walk anytime with you, Jill...but only if we leave Bernie at home!!!

You and I were both taking photos of mushrooms ! And posted them on our last posts!!

Love your photos.. and your walk- until Bernie spoiled it !!!!

Anonymous said...

Omigosh! I don't think I'd have had the presence of mind to even capture that snake on camera, much less on video.

I really enjoyed your walk, however!

Becky said...

Ah, the world is bigger by just sharing the different ways of viewing it! Loved the walk, thanks for taking us along!