Friday, December 15, 2006

Red and Green: Maple and More Mice

The Japanese maple by our bedroom window dropped all its leaves very early in the season, like in October. It then put out new leaves, which rapidly cycled through pale lime green to bright red.

Not all over, mind you. Just a few branches, way up on the tip of the tree.

Different.
I should have combed "Knight Before Christmas" Mouse's whiskers before I took his picture.
The Choir mice. I sang in the children's choir, and we had black robes with white colors.

I would have been thrilled to have had red and lace. I also imaging most Southern California boys would have flat out refused to sing in any choir so attired!

My little trio is ethnically diverse...

The first one I got came with a poem:

"My name is Peter Church Mouse and I sing in the choir. I live in the highest organ pipe, but I can sing even higher."

The middle mouse is missing his hymnal, and one of his pink inner ear circles.

That's because he went on an adventure with a four year old boy named Jeff.

Jeff liked that mouse, and decided the mouse should come along with him for some fun.
Jeff stuck the mouse into his jean's pocket and off they went for some rollicking good Christmas play time.
A few days later, Jeff's busy mommy didn't have the time to check Jeff's tiny jean's pocket before she threw the jeans into the laundry. Peter never made a squeek as he went into the washer with a splash.
Happily, Peter C. Mouse survived his rather violent baptism which included a cup of Tide and a wild spin in the drier.
Who know what happened to Peter's hymnal and ear.
Other than that, Peter was just glad to be back with his mousey buddies, and has never gone adventuring with four year old boys again.

(The one-year old next door made a grab for Peter though. Peter had a twinkle in his eye, and I think he would have pleased to have been off on another adventure; twenty two years have passed since Peter's last romp. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that mouse!)

Posted by Picasa And Rabbi Mouse wishes everyone a Happy Hanukkah!
Latkas and dreidles anyone?

No comments: