Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Autumn views, windows and roses

I wait all year for the autumn view from my living room. The four Japanese maples put on a vibrant show, each day raising the color intensity, right up to about a week before Christmas.

Autumn arrives late here along the Gulf coast.

I have one housekeeping expectation for autumn: Clean clear windows to enjoy my private woodlands view. The sunlight streaming through the richly colored leaves in the morning comes close to cathedral stain glass richness to my soul.

Sadly, the same sunlight bounces off any substance clinging to the window panes, creating white window fog that ruins my view.

I just hate that.

So I (or Bernie, depending on how much time and how domestically motivate I can cajole him into being...) troop off the hardware store for one of those window cleaning bottled products that you attach to your garden hose. I have learned that it is the best way to clear off the dirt from the windows.

The windows are sprayed with clear water, then soapy water, then again with another round of soften water, guaranteed not to leave spots. There never are any spots after that. Just general fog.

The next step is for me to hand wash the windows. They have a film on them to block some of the sun glare. So I have to use very soft paper towels, squeegees, and tea towels.

I use the "vertical wipe on one side and horizontal wipe on the other", so I can tell where the streaks are.

Have I tried every product out there to clean windows yet?
Yes I have.
One year I even used window wax.

Always, always, streaks.

I use bone dry toweling. I have used newspaper. I have used paper toweling designed for window washing. I have tried everything that any household hinter or old wife or professional window cleaner has to offer. I professionally research the possibilities. It just can't be done streak free.

Wait. I take that back.
When we had the house power washed, they professionally washed the windows, and the window looked 95% great. The inside, still a little work to do.
While I was at son Jeff's new home I noticed his windows were as transparent as a bar of paraffin. I used two different types of window cleaners there, and got them up to "smeared with Vaseline" level clean. Cleaning just one sliding glass door and one above the kitchen sink window I went through a half a roll of paper towels. When I gave up, the view outside was still seen through streaks.

Maybe I will price professional window cleaners again. By the time I buy all the window cleaning products, I'll bet I'll come in at just a few measly dollars cost difference between the DIY (do it yourself) and professional done version.

The cats don't help either. The lowest pane in the inside window and door pane always has little bean shaped prints. The cats walk up to the window, go to get a better look, and bam, the nose bumps into the glass, leaving a little bean shaped nose print evidence of their stupidity. Each and every time.

They look like smart cats.
Like they would have learned that there is a window there.
But no.

Bam.

Bumped the glass again.

They can sniff the roses without touching them though.

They always take the time to smell the roses. They have the time. They don't have worry about washing the windows!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: