Saturday, August 12, 2006

Millinery: Blocks

I'm excited... Hatshapers came out with a block to make a cute flower shaped hat (click on the flower word to see one blocked up in light blue felt.)

Mine arrived a few days ago, this black item pictured that looks like a weird ice cream cone. I can't wait to give it a try with a parasisol straw, probably in light blue.

Millinery shops used to create shapes for each season, in different head sizes. Blocks take up a lot of room, so usually they got rid of the trendy wooden shapes each season. A few survived, tucked away in store rooms and attics. Now they are on eBay and going for hundreds of dollars. Many are beautiful in their own right as wooden sculpture.

I currently own a high crown and low crown (both with slightly rounded tops) blocks , and a set in crown (last picture.) These are made of a plastic/Styrofoam something, so pins can be stuck in to hold the straw or felt hood or capeline. I got them from Judith M. Millinery supplies. She has some gorgeous wooden blocks too.

The wooden one was bought on ebay. It makes a juliette type hat. Not a real popular look right now. The groove is where a piece of cording goes to give a hem line, where the facing of hat folds back.

I have one other wooden block, a high in front, lower in back crown, and of course, three glass bowl shapes that I use, attaching the felt or straw to the edge using spring clothes pins!

Not a very exciting post...but I'm still excited about my flower block!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: